How To Be A Safe Boater
Some of your best memories will be made on the open water with your friends and family. It’s easy to get lost in the motion of the ocean and let your safety judgement lapse. But, staying diligent on the water is important and can be easy. Before you head out on the water, keep the follow boaters safety tips top of mind:
- Be prepared with a boat safety and first aid kit. In addition to a first aid kit, include a flashlight, duct tape, a bucket, whistle, ropes, garbage bags, fire extinguisher and life jackets.
- Ensure you have the proper licenses necessary for all activities you plan on engaging in.
- Have knowledge of the location and its laws.
- Check the weather.
- Designate a safety officer for the boat who is able to perform some first aid in the event of an emergency.
- Take a boater safety course.
- Know your vessel well. Performance safety and maintenance checks.
- Verify that your insurance policy is up-to-date.
Be prepared, stay diligent, and keep your passengers safe. Even considering all these tips, accidents still happen. Check a comprehensive guide to watercraft safety here. Contact us at eGen Insurance for more safety tips and to inquire about watercraft insurance today!